Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Discouraged

Having taught in 3 different cities, I have had my share of interviews. I actually enjoy interviewing as I am very passionate about teaching and love to talk about it. Most schools asks the same types of questions and I've learned that I can tell a lot about a school from their questions.

One particular question stands out the most to me and it's one I'll never forget. It was was a week into the school year, they were desperate for another kinder teacher and I seriously wanted a teaching position. He asked, "do you get discouraged when you have to take a child to the office?" My response, "Yes." And we moved on. When I got ready to leave, he told me I shouldn't be discouraged by taking a child to the office. I smiled and nodded and I was very thankful when that principal called to say that they had gone another direction.

And that brings me to today. I am discouraged. I feel that it is my job to help each child be successful. I feel that if I have to write an office referral, I have done something wrong, too. Maybe I didn't try hard enough to find something to help that child. Maybe I didn't always show that child the love he/she needs from me. Maybe I am being t hard on them. Maybe I need to be even more patient. Maybe I can do more. I feel as if I have let the child down and the parent down. I feel as if I am the failure.

Maybe I will have a better grip on this when I am a parent and my kids are in school. What are your thoughts on kids going to the office?

No comments: