Sunday, June 24, 2012

Safe Cleaning

As we get ready to move, I have started cleaning our apartment.  We still have a couple months to go, but I figure I should start now to avoid late nights of cleaning later on.  Two things that I've spent hours on and just couldn't get clean were the shower and the stove top.  I hate the smell of the cleaners you usually buy for these things, especially being trapped in the bathroom with those fumes.  So, I began searching Pinterest and other online sites.




I started with the shower.  I came across a recipe of 1 part Dawn dish soap and 1part vinegar.  Perfect!  While vinegar doesn't smell great, it's not a toxic smell.  I mixed up 1/2 cup of vinegar and 1/2 cup of blue Dawn.  I sprayed it on the shower and let soak for about 2 hours.  I came back and scrubbed just a little with a sponge and it looked great!


 Next up, I decided to tackle the stove.  We have a gas stove and the top is white.  All around the burned was dirty (not really sure what it was).  Every time after I cook,  I spray it down with different clearners and scrub, but nothing seems to work.  I did some research and didn't find anything that I just loved.  I really didn't want to use amonia and deal with that smell.  So, I used what I knew.  I knew both Dawn and baking soda could be used in cleaning dishes, so I decided to try the combo.  I used about 1 part Dawn to 2 parts baking soda and then added water to get it the consistancy I wanted.  I used my finger to rub it on the stove, let it sit for about 10 minutes and then scrubbed with a sponge.  Almost all of the caked on "stuff" was gone!  I then wiped it down with a dry paper towel to avoid too much sudsing and then a wet paper towel.  I am really impressed with how it turned out.  It's not perfect, but it's 100% better.  I think I will try it again and let it set a little longer and then used a toothbrush to scrub.

I'm very pleased with the ways of cleaning without using harmful chemicals.  I don't want to be exposed to those chemicals, nor do I want my furbabies exposed!

What chemical free ways of cleaning have you found that work?


No comments: