Thursday, June 16, 2011

Summer Reading

I made the decision at the end of May to do some reading this summer.  Fun reading.  I have no fancy Kindle, Nook or Ipad and I hate paying $12 for a book I read in 2 days.  While the library is free, I prefer paperbacks that I can fold the pages down and not worry about getting wet at the pool.  Waking up early and going to garage sales on Saturday mornings is out as well.  So, I decided to try out book shopping on EBay.  I ended up with 6 books for under $20, with shipping.  It's no garage sale, but still a pretty good deal.

The Art of Racing in the Rain

I decided to start with The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.  It had been recommended by an old high school friend.  I loved it!

It is the story of life, from the prospective of the family dog, Enzo, who wants to be human.  Enzo's owner, Denny, is an up and coming race car driver and Enzo takes on a love for racing after hearing Denny's tales.  For this reason, Enzo relates life to driving a race car.  The story begins with Enzo nearing his death and recalling his life, from the time Denny picked him to be his dog, through Denny marrying and having a daughter and all that the marriage included. 

It was a very cute book.  It was a touching story that was made humurous at times through the dog's eyes.  And, most of all, it's made my look at my dogs in a completely different light!  I would definately recommend this book, especially for dog owners!

No comments: