Monday, July 4, 2011

Saying Goodbye

The past couple of weeks have been full of friends and family as I went home to stay with my parents, but I have also had to say goodbye to a  very special man in my life. 

On June 17, my grandad went to spend eternity with our Heavenly Father and with Grandma.  He is pain free, healthy and able to hear again.  And while it brings such peace knowing where he is, I can't help but be a little sad. 

My grandfather was such a neat man.  He served in the Army and the US Army Air Corp.  He later owned and operated a five and dime store for more than 30 years.  Some of my  favorite childhood memories with Grandad were at that store.  In addition to loving his store, he loved to garden.  Even at 90 years old we could find him in the garden from spring until late summer.  He always had watermelon, cantaloupe and tomatoes.  I also remember times when he would have corn, okra and asparagus.  I'm sure there were many other fruits and veggies too. 

These are two pictures of Grandad at his store.  In 2002, the Dallas Morning News ran an article about his store on the front page.  They were kind enough to send these pictures to my cousin after Grandad passed.  I am very thankful to have the pictures as this was Grandads passion.  I am also very thankful to have had the experiences at the store and knowing what a five and dime store is.  This picture is just the front of the store.  He carried everything.  There were things people would drive over an hour to his store because it couldn't be found anywhere else. 



The serviced was the following Monday.  It was a very neat service because the officiate was a church friend of Grandads and knew Grandad on a more personal level.  At the cemetery, Taps was played and the flag was removed from the coffin, folded and given to my mom.  It was very touching. 

Today, as we celebrate our country's independence and remember those who have served and are serving, I remember my Grandad and the time he served our country as well as the stories he told. 

No comments: