Friday, January 22, 2010

Weekly Kindergarten Wrap Up

Well, what a week.  It's a good thing I've been going to church AND working out and building happy feelings, otherwise I can't imagine how mean I would have been. 

I have one little boy who is very sweet and smart.  His mom works until 11 and so he's at a babysitters until then.  Well, some nights he doesn't sleep until he gets home.  I can tell when that happens.  He cries about EVERYTHING.  He cried because I asked him to stop being silly and read.  He cried because the librarian corrected him.  He sat on the playground and cried (I don't know why).  I know what it's like to be so tired you cry, but I can only take so much.  He's probably cried 8 times this week.  Thankfully sometimes it just last a couple minutes.

I have another boy who was moved back from first grade to kindergarten and is bigger than the rest of the class.  All my kids look up to him.  That wouldn't be so bad, except he's a bully.  I've had tons of problems with him bullying one of my little girls.  On Wednesday, I hear the little girl crying.  I go to see what happened.  He had dug his finger nail into her finger and had actually brought blood.  When I asked why, he said because she was supposed to be using glue and she wasn't.  Hmm...can I claw him everytime he's not doing what he's supposed to? 

Then there's a little boy with lice.  He's had them for weeks.  The nurse combs his hair several times a week to get the nits out.  It doesn't get better.  But he has no problem walking into my class and announcing "I've got bugs!" very proudly.  This same little boy cried twice for 15 minutes today because he got in trouble.  Not just little tears.  But loud, screaming tears.  I was ready to cry.

Then, the little girl that's always bullied....well, she cut her hair yesterday.  Not a little cut either.  She had a huge chunk of hair in her hand.  Okay, I know, it happens.  But, she had just done it this weekend at home and mom had to give her a new haircut.  Then, she did it again.  I don't get it.  Don't they get it...you cut your hair, you get a bad haircut.  Why do it again?

I could probably keep going, but it's making my blood pressure just rise thinking about it.

While it has been a very stressful and tiring week, I'm trying to look at the possitives.  I have totally changed how I teach writing and my kids are actually writing things that I can read.  I'm so proud!  I have two students who are already reading at the end of year level.  I can't wait to see what they can do over the next four months! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you have the weekend to recover from that week! Little kids can be so cute, but they are also little terrors. I am especially sorry about the bully and all the crying. I really hope that next week is stellar!

Unknown said...

I think kindergarten should only be four days a week to give the teachers three days to recover. =)