When I started this blog a little over a year ago, I knew I was in for change. I assumed most of it would be a result of the military though. A week ago, however, I found out more change is on the way. (No, not a baby.)
I'm not longer going to be a kindergarten teacher. I will be teaching first grade next year. As of right now, our numbers for kndergarten aren't looking like I'll be needed in kindergarten next year. I have a contract and so they have to find a job for me. They could wait until school starts and see, but then, I'd have to teach whatever they need me to teach at whatever school they need me to teach in. Being a person who needs to plan and have control, that just didn't sound like fun to me. Instead, I took the open 1st grade position at my school.
I wasn't sure how I felt about it at first, but now, I must say that I am pretty excited. And here's why:
1. These kids have had 1 year of being in school, most will have spent 1 year in MY class and will know just what I want.
2. I will not have screaming kindergarteners that have never been to school. Since I started late last year, I didn't deal with the first week of school. While I knew I could do it, this terified me. Lots.
3. As sort of mentioned in #1, I will have most of the same students I had last year. I think several have moved, but lots will be back. I can't wait to see what these kids can do in two years!
4. It's a new challenge. I like challenges.
5. I love the 1st grade team!
6. I will be just down the hall from my kinder team.
So, no funny stories about kindergarteners. But, I am sure that first graders will be pretty entertaining!
5 weeks ago