Friday, June 12, 2009

My Sister's Keeper



Since I'm not working during the summer, and I have only been reading either professional books or children's books for the past 9 months, I decided I needed a good book to start off the summer. I had seen the previews for My Sister's Keeper and knew I wanted to see the movie, but it wasn't until some freinds started talking about reading the book and I saw it laying on my Mom's coffee table that I decided I wanted to read it. So, Mom and I made a trip to WalMart at 11:00 last Saturday night while I was home.

I started the book on Monday while laying at the pool (for way too long). It instantly drew me in and kept me wanting to read more. Every free chance I've had, I've been reading, and am finally finished. But, sad that I don't have a story to read that I'm so engaged in.
Here's a little background, without ruining the story. Anna's parents concieved Anna for the sole purpose of saving their first daughter, Kate. Anna spends her whole life donating platelets and bone marrow and now they want her to donate her kidney. Anna wants to have a say in the matter and seeks an attorney. The story goes back and forth from present time, to the past, as they found out about the Leukemia, to struggles they had along the way, as well as wonderful memories they had as a family. Each chapter has a different character narrating. It allows you to see all sides of the story. I highly recommend picking up this book and picking up a box of Kleenex too.
What book do you recommend? I still have 2 months of summer left to read!

1 comment:

d.a.r. said...

Ahh isn't that book so, so, so good? I can't wait for the movie to come out.

Um, I just read "Cocktails for Three" (it's by the author who wrote the Shopaholic Series under a different name) and it's a great chick lit book/quick pool read.