Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Day at the Zoo

Somedays at work, I feel like I'm at the zoo, but today I really was.  We took a field trip to the zoo.  I'm not going to lie, I was VERY nervous.  Twenty 5-6 year old kids.  Wide open spaces.  No structures.  Wild animals.  Those things all together just spelled disaster in my brain.  I have to admit, with the exception of the one adventerous girl who takes off on her on quite frequently and the boy who got his arm stuck in the fence in front of the white tiger exhibit, things went pretty well. 

For field trips, our art teacher has the students draw and paint on tshirts.  Look how cute they are...


I had never been to the zoo here.  I have been to the Ft. Worth Zoo, the Dallas Zoo, and the San Diego Zoo.  I knew a zoo in a town of 100,000 in the middle of nowhere wouldn't compare.  But, surprisingly, it still had it's on unique features that impressed me.  You see, I love giraffes.  I have no idea why, but I do.  And this zoo has a bridge over the giraffe habitat.  You could walk up on the bridge and feed the giraffes.  So cool!



Here are some other pictures from the zoo.  The librarian wrote a grant for 22 cameras and lets teachers/students take them on field trips.  She also teaches the kids how to use them.  These are the pictures the kids took.

(I'm not sure this was real.  It didn't move the whole time we were there.)



(In case you were wondering, this is a prarie dog.)

(American Bison)


After the zoo, we went to the park to have a sack lunch and to play.  We had a blast, but were all worn out when it was over with.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The giraffe bridge is the coolest idea ever!